We have the salvage rights to a nearby house and barn circa 1850.
The new owners bought the house for the property. A wonderful corner lot with great early morning sunshine, which has always been something I love. They told me that one family that was raised in the house had 10 kids. You can see in the photo to the left of the chimney and left of the window, I have torn off some siding to reveal beautiful wide oak sheathing.
The barn doors were mounted on a rail and roller system that is dated 1901. I have removed lots of barn doors with rollers and bars, this one had more detailed than the average. We removed them and put them in a box before I was able to photograph them.
After we pulled the floor and the sub flooring, we found wonderful chestnut floor joists. You can see the joist ends to the right of this photo, also the end of a 6" x 6" beam that we cut out. When we pulled the 6" x 6" beam up, the underside was mortised in several places. I guess our ancestors were the first to realized the benefits of reclamation. There were also several built in drawer units, one of which you can see in this picture. I took the drawers because they had the original hardware and then knocked them apart for the drawer bottoms and sides.
In this room we pulled the carpet and pine floor up and the real prize is the chestnut floor joists.
The first time I cut a wire in this house, I thought the power had been turned off. (Fool me once!)
We cut the joists off with a chain saw.
Somewhere around 1950, a pine ceiling was put in below and nailed to the joists. Our quest was the chestnut joists, so out came the sledge hammer and the ceiling below was knocked away.
We left two of the joists in place to keep the house from collapsing as we continued to remove more material.
Weather permitting, we will be returning for more material and I will continue this post.